On Mar 13, 2009, at 5:09 PM, Darcy James Argue wrote:

I'm really wondering about why we accept some things from notes which we don't accept from rests, such as quarter-half-quarter being perfectly acceptable when they're written as notes but not acceptable when written as rests. Why not?

I speculated about that in my last message. Again, I think it's about the psychology of note placement. In sight-reading situations, placing the attack in the right spot is (at least) 90% of the battle. So rests that outline the beat clearly help the sight-reader to visually and psychologically "plant" their attack.

I think Darcy is onto something here. I think most players DON'T "play" the rests, they play the note-ons, so they just see the rests as placeholders, like a numbered grid onto which notes have been laid. This is also why spacing inside the measure is so important to easy sight-reading. Maybe I am obsessed with easy sight-reading, since I write music that is highly syncopated and usually depends on being read "cold" for performances and recordings, rather than those who write more concert-oriented works that get practiced a lot. I depend on tradition and modern convention to make sure my parts are instantly understandable.

I am reading a show right now that uses a lot of funk-like rhythms in sixteenth-note subdivisions, and there are a lot of inadvertent "solos" from various players because the syncopations are not written in conventional ways. The beat is hard enough to see with sixteenth subdivisions already, and though we all get it right on the second glance, the first one is what counts. The rather loose hand-copying, while adequate, is not exactly precise with regards to spacing either, so that doesn't help.

Christopher