dhbailey wrote:
Ray Horton wrote:
Dotted half rests, in non-compound meters, give the music an amateurish appearance, just as a conversational tone might tarnish an article for a scholarly journal. Y'know what I mean?

Whenever I see a dotted half rest in non-compound meter, I assume a computer engraver with auto-fill rests that he/she doesn't know how to control. If that is the impression yu want to give, then, by all means, use them!

But that just shows that the person has manipulated the software because the default behavior for both Finale and Sibelius when their auto-fill with rests option is turned on is to not use dotted rests.

I'm curious and not trying to pick a fight -- why do they look amateurish? And why do they look amateurish when dotted half-notes do not? Is it mainly because of tradition? I'm really wondering about why we accept some things from notes which we don't accept from rests, such as quarter-half-quarter being perfectly acceptable when they're written as notes but not acceptable when written as rests. Why not?

The same reeson that speled rite words look beter than mispeled ones.

You could read that sentence just fine! So, there wasn't anything wrong with it?

Darcy already explained the probable reasons for the differences between notes and rests, very well.

RBH