>I'm
> really wondering about why we accept some things from notes
> which we don't accept from rests, such as
> quarter-half-quarter being perfectly acceptable when they're
> written as notes but not acceptable when written as rests.
> Why not?

On just this question, and not the other ones debated here, I think that
rests mean silence, but they also mark meter; notes mean sound and, while
they can also mark meter, they are sometimes explicitly counter to meter as
in your quarter-half-quarter example. Silence cannot be counter to meter;
sound can. RY