On Sun, January 10, 2010 9:12 am, Johannes Gebauer wrote:
> Perhaps I am missing something, but does IMAP allow me to use it like
> POP with only added convenience, or am I then required to keep
> everything on the server all the time?

I'll give you the simple answer by example.

I use both. I check most mail via IMAP so I can reach it pretty much anywhere,
and sort it into just a few mailboxes. That mail, for the time being, stays on
the server.

Mail that I answer via IMAP is Bcc'd to myself so I have a copy. This message,
for example, is being answered via IMAP, but will Bcc to my address so that I
have a copy with the same time stamp.

When I'm ready to grab the mail that I want to keep, I move everything back to
the IMAP inbox, mark it as unread, and run my POP mail program (where I have
all my email since 1993). It downloads & automatically deletes everything on
the server's inbox. The other boxes are untouched, so I can keep mail stored
there temporarily.

Dennis