At 10:14 AM +0100 11/6/10, Florence + Michael wrote:
I recently received the conductor's score of Gounod's Faust (Henschelverlag Berlin, 1972). I was surprised to find C-clefs used for the voice parts in a score this recent: all female voices are written in soprano clef and the tenors in tenor clef. I thought this practice had died out in the 19th century. Can anybody point me to detailed information about the history of the use of C-clefs? And does anybody know of other 20th century editions that use them for voice parts?

Michael

LECTURE WARNING!!!!  Delete while you still have a chance!

Gounod is hardly what I'd call a "recent" composer, since he died in 1910. And that score is undoubtedly a reprint of a much earlier edition. But that's actually irrelevant to the question.

Since Guido d'Arezzo invented the musical staff and the use of clefs in the early 11th century, the C clef and the F clef have always been considered movable, and they WERE moved in music in order to keep most of the notes within the staff. (Apparently the monks copying music had to cock their wrists at an awkward angle to draw ledger lines, so this was important to them.) When the G clef was added in the 15th century, it was also considered movable. So the three clefs were used in 9 different ways:
  G on bottom line (French violin clef, used 17th-18th centuries)
  G on second line (the familiar "treble" clef)
C on bottom line (soprano clef, used by Bach for his boys' voices and for the right hand of much of his keyboard music) C on 2nd line (mezzo-soprano clef, used for d'amore winds, low violins, high violas) C on 3rd line (alto clef, used for violas, violas da gamba, alto sackbutts, alto voices, etc.)
  C on 4th line (tenor clef, used for tenor voices, tenor instruments)
F on 3rd line (baritone clef, often used in madrigals when the "bass" part lies high)
   F on 4th line (the familiar "bass" clef)
   F on 5th line (sub-bass clef, most often found in Venetian polychoral music)

Now the important point is that this was not just theoretical. Musicians were trained in this system, and were trained to read and think in all 9 movable clefs. This was beginners' stuff! And that training continued well into the 20th century, although not necessarily in the U.S. But Nadia Boulanger was still teaching the 9 clefs into the mid-20th century, according to one of my grad school professors who had studied with her in Paris.

As to editions using the 9 clefs, most of the first generation of collected works, dating from the middle of the 19th century and into the 20th, made a point of reproducing the original manuscripts as closely as possible, including the original clefs and the original note values. The Bach-Gesellschaft edition reproduced all of Bach's original clefs, and since it is now in the public domain it has been widely reprinted and is available on line and on CDs.

The three kinds of people who have to be able to read the 9 movable clefs include: (a) Musicologists, who deal with original manuscripts and prints in which those clefs were used, and others who may do similar research including conductors; (b) Conductors who delve into the earlier repertoire and may run into those clefs at any time (my first doctoral seminar studied the Brahms Requiem, and our professor had pre-ordered the Kalmus reprint of the score, which had the voice parts in the clefs Brahms used--soprano, alto, tenor and bass); and (c) early music singers and players who may very well run into those clefs in scores copies out of collected works editions and other Dankmäler and similar editions (New York Pro Musica performed from many of these editions, which Noah Greenberg unearthed in various libraries, and they simply HAD to read them).

As a bonus, once you have learned to use the entire system of movable clefs, they are incredibly useful for transposing music. Arthur Squires, who sang tenor with New York Pro Musica, had dead perfect pitch and could not sing music that was not in the key they were singing in, BUT he read the clefs and used them to transposed mentally.

So no, I would have to say that the 9 movable clefs did NOT disappear in the 19th century. They were alive and well. In fact the musical scholars who worked on those Collected Works editions could read them perfectly well themselves, and saw nothing wrong with reproducing the original clefs. I would say, rather, that in the U.S. at least, they died out of common use and were no longer taught in the 20th century, and that is kind of a shame and is something of an oversimplification in our system of music education. I wasn't taught them, although I learned to read alto clef playing viola, and I had to stumble through them in grad school in score reading classes and musicology classes.

And of course the notation of vocal tenor parts has baffled more than one publisher! The treble clef is incorrect because it shows the wrong octave. The tenor C-clef had no such problem. At least one publisher--I think it was Novello--used a doubled treble clef, apparently on the theory that 2 treble clefs weighed twice as much as one, and pulled the pitch down an octave!! And modern notation programs provide the tenor G-clef with a little 8 under the clef for accuracy (which drives piano accompanists nuts!). But that's OK, since in the words of Anna Russell, tenors have resonance where their brains ought to be, so we can't really expect them to read music, right?

END OF LECTURE!

John

--
John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Virginia Tech Department of Music

"We never play anything the same way once."  Shelly Manne's definition
of jazz musicians.