At 7:24 AM -0500 11/21/10, David H. Bailey wrote:
I understand the use of clefs to transpose from concert pitch music to the differently keyed transposing instruments, but is there a chart somewhere which does things in reverse?

So that looking at a part for F horn, for example, which is printed in the treble clef, what clef would one use to show what the concert pitch note is?

Not sure what you mean by "in reverse," David, but for the example you give both F horn and English horn--any F instrument, actually--you imagine its being in mezzo-soprano clef: middle C on the 2nd line. And in fact I DO think that way when I enter horn notes directly into a transposed score. For Eb alto sax I think bass clef, but have to remember the octave transposition.

The one I've never quite figured out a trick for is Clarinet in A. It's just a minor third transposition, and shouldn't be that difficult, but my mind just doesn't wrap around it. Let's see, a written C5 sounds A4, so I need a clef that puts A4 on the 3rd space. French violin clef doesn't work. It has to be in the other direction. AHA!!! Soprano clef is the answer!!! (Middle C on the bottom line.) It's just that that's one clef I haven't used much, since most early music is more likely to use alto and tenor clefs. But Bach used it all the time. I will now remember that (and try to figure out the key signature adjustment-- +3 sharps, I think).

John

--
John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Virginia Tech Department of Music

"We never play anything the same way once."  Shelly Manne's definition
of jazz musicians.