On 4/18/2012 7:22 PM, Christopher Smith wrote:

> On Wed Apr 18, at WednesdayApr 18 9:05 PM, dershem wrote:
>
>> On 4/18/2012 12:03 AM, SN jef chippewa wrote:
>>>
>>> carl, i am about to upgrade a few things, including finale, and
>>> wonder if you could tell me what you found so disastrous moving
>>> from 2010 to 2012 (which is what i would be doing soon).
>>
>> For one thing, I could not upgrade on-line.  I simply would NOT
>> function, so even though I bought the upgrade on-line, I had to pay
>> extra for a CD.
>
> Carl, did you give it enough time? The initial download is just the
> installer. Once you double-click it, the ACTUAL download starts and
> can take quite a while, especially if you don't have a super-fast
> connection or the MakeMusic server was overloaded. It took me well
> over an hour.

I tried at least a dozen times.  It would freeze solid every time.

>> For another, many functions ceased to function: "Hide staff" for
>> part of the piano staff didn't work.
>
> Had you enabled "hide normally" in the group attributes IN THE PIANO
> PART (just in the score might not do it)?

Yup.

>> "Extract Parts" would NOT save as [filename+partname+ whatevr] - I
>> had to manually name each part.
>
> I haven't seen this, as I don't extract parts that often. Do you
> have slashes in the staff/part name? That might kill a file creation
> on Mac (I see it all the time when creating PDFs), and it has been
> this way for a while. If you are on Windows, I don't know.

There is a standard option for extracting parts, and it has been there
for many years.  It existed as a menu option but never worked.

>> Page format was messed up - the first 3 pages of every part and
>> score had to be enlarged 10 112% to be seen/print normally, and
>> pages after that needed to be reduced to 70% to then match the
>> earlier pages.
>
> I have my suspicions about that. There are several explanations,
> involving the Zoom tool and the default page/system sizes, which I
> have had to suss out before. Short answer, it's not a bug, it's just
> an unwanted or misunderstood behaviour. If you could send me a file
> privately, I'll check it out, and you won't be bothered with it
> again.

If it consistently does the wrong thing, it's a bug.  I could send you
files, but instead I will just revert to 2010, which works just fine.
The only option I would like that 2010 doesn't have is to hide staves in
the piano part, and I am used to doing that with a T-square and x-acto
knife.

Carl

--
http://projectselene.com