just because bartók died in 1945 doesn't make the practice obsolete.

>You'll disagree, of course, but I'd expect that
>no one is ever sight-reading the types of music
>you normally engrave!

i'm not concerned so much with sight-reading.
i'm concerned with the music being clearly shown
to the musician.  although i rarely come across
it, i simply cannot condone the exclusion of such
practices.  in the case they mention (difficulty
in ensemble practice), i don't see what the
problem should be (especially since their set of
rules gives the impression there is also a
limited gamut of available time sigs...).

if different voices have different phrasing and
there are inherent patterns that are not obvious
when beamed "properly" i would definitely
consider using beams across the barline, or at
least beaming in a manner that is not "standard
for the time sig.  in fact sometimes i have
something similar within "normal" beaming, when i
can break the 16th beam, for example, to draw
attention to an underlying metric "contradiction".