Hi Dennis,

It's funny -- none of the players in my circles would bat an eye at being asked
to "sing and whistle and make various mouth sounds while playing." In fact most
of them welcome this stuff! It's all in a days' work.

But they all, uniformly, cross out phrase beaming when given it and pencil in
metrical beaming, every time and everywhere they see it (including in Bartók,
Berg, etc).

Cheers,

- DJA
-----