On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 8:54 AM, John Howell <john.how...@vt.edu> wrote:

> Both Beethoven and Schumann did pretty well
> fighting "the tyrany of the barline" using
> completely conventional notation for their time,
> and what they wanted is pretty darned clear.

Actually, Beethoven used cross-bar beaming to show syncopation across the
barline in (e.g.) the Pathetique Sonata. I would be surprised if there are
not examples in Schumann as well. Schumann certainly breaks beams to show
phrasing. See Piano Quintet 1st mvmt reh E-G. In Brahms we certainly begin
to see cross-bar beaming to show phrasing.