It sounded like Phil was likely not playing in in real time.  I have
had a USB Akai LPK25 for a couple of weeks, and the setup is
instantaneous.  I also have used an old Casio, with a midi-to-usb
adapter, and that often would take jumping through hoops to get the
computer or Finale to recognize.  Are you able to use the Casio with a
non-usb input of some sort?  I thought midi input cards had gone out
with Culture Club?

Raymond Horton
Bass Trombonist, Louisville Orchestra
Minister of Music, Edwardsville (IN) UMC
Composer, Arranger
VISIT US AT rayhortonmusic.com