On 9/17/2013 2:18 PM, Raymond Horton wrote:
> I think Steinberg notation software is, at this point, the poster boy for
> "100%
> vaporware."  They put out a video with demos made on a totally different
> product, for goodness' sake!
>
> I wish them only the best, and hope the ultimate product does all that is
> promised and more, but only vapor is available now.

But they are not representing it as a product, only as a development
project.  While the implication may be that they indent to produce a
discrete notation product that would be "Sibelius: The Next Generation",
if you will, it is possible that these efforts would roll back into the
Cubase platform to extends its notation capabilities.

I don't think suppliers should ever be discouraged from talking about
the future as long as they aren't making any solid promises they can't keep.

The natural inclination of software suppliers (incumbents especially) is
to clam up.  There can be several reasons for this:

1) If what they have to say isn't all that impressive, that will lose
loyalty during the incubation period.
2) If what they have to say is so-so, they would rather hold everything
for a big flashy announcement.
3) If what they have to say is really impressive, they don't want to
give the competition a chance to get organized against their messages.

And conversely, a newcomer is more likely to talk openly:

1) To get some attention
2) To start to dislodge loyalties with the incumbents
3) To freeze people from buying competitor upgrades in the interim
4) If they decide the incumbents aren't really competing very much anyway.

We will have to wait until 2016 to see what 2016 really looks like, but
I don't see where some speculation hurts anyone.