On 9/17/2013 8:19 AM, Jari Williamsson wrote:
> On 2013-09-17 07:05, Craig Parmerlee wrote:
>
>> 1) In 2013 I shouldn't still have to fiddle with layouts on my parts.
>> How many Finale releases have we seen that bragged about great new
>> algorithms that avoid collision of printed elements?  Yet, I still have
>> to manually edit every &^%%$#$#% part by hand just to achieve the most
>> minimally readable parts.  That would be a breakthrough -- one that
>> might have expected in 2000, not 2014.
> It's your choice. I usually try to do the layout with one button click
> for all parts at once (adjusting dynamics/artics/smart
> shapes/note+measure spacing/system spacing in one go). Then I go to
> optical check.

I don't think I am particularly picky.  Most of my writing is for
private libraries, not for commercial publication, so I don't insist on
an exacting set of layout standards.  I just want the parts to be
readable.  On an average 4-minute big-band arrangement, I bet I have to
spend nearly an hour fiddling with the managed parts just to get them to
the point where they are readable

>> 2) How long have we had spell checkers and grammar checkers in word
>> processors?  15-20 years anyway.  Why don't we have the same things in
>> music notation by now?
> You mean like in JW Validate?

I am not familiar with that one.  Can you provide a link to a detailed
description?

>> 6) Likewise, the notation program should be able to read the notes in
>> all the staves and determine the most likely chords in use.
> You mean like in the Chord Tool's function ("All-Staff Analysis") in
> Finale to automatically analyze written notes into chord symbols?

Yes, exactly like that.  Except I want it to actually work.  I don't
want it to tell me it can't spell the chord name more than half the
time.  It should be able to make intelligent judgments about passing
tones so that it doesn't label a minor chord as a major. It should give
me some control over how complex the suffixes should be.  It should be
able to process the whole score, not just where I click. It should
highlight notes that seem to not fit the chord it has detected.  If the
bass decides not to play on beat one, the tool should make a reasonable
inference about an assumed base note, etc. Other than that, "all Staff
Analysis" is just what I'm looking for. :)  Basically if a human can
hear it and immediately know the harmonic intent, then it should be
possible for the computer to evolve the same intelligence.  I know some
of the things I'm describing are very challenging.   I don't expect all
of this by 2016, but I do expect the leading vendors to be thinking the
big picture and taking aggressive steps in that direction.