On 8/22/2016 10:36 PM, Mark Adler wrote:
[snip]

> I'm sorry you are disappointed with the new Finale. We are aware of the
> printing issues are are working to fix them.

[snip]

Thank you for responding on-list, Mark.

What sort of timetable can the early adopters of Finale25 expect for the
repair of the printing issues?

Nobody should spend $149 on an upgrade only to learn that they have to
revert to an earlier version of the product simply to get acceptable
printed output.  Imagine some kid heading off to college, buying the
academic version, running into this problem.  How would a first-time
user overcome the problem, not having an earlier version to print from?
Worse yet, imagine someone who is tempted by the cross-grade offer and
makes the purchase to begin to explore Finale.  How will that person
cope with the printing issues?

What if a person is making a large jump from a much older version, for
example, Finale2010, to Finale25?  How would they handle the printing
problem, since the file formats are incompatible?  Yes, they could save
the file in an earlier version's format, but how much of the new,
improved Finale25 file will be lost in such a conversion?  And how far
back does the new version's "save in [earlier version format]"
capability go?

After a two year wait people should be saying "Wow, this is fantastic!
Everybody should upgrade!"  Instead people are saying "Hold on, wait,
there are serious flaws in this new version."  And I haven't read any
messages which have said "This new version has XYZ which is so much
better than earlier versions."

Even the completely 64-bit aspect hasn't particularly thrilled anybody,
at least not in this group.

And finally, can you explain why long-time Finale users (I've been with
the program since version 3.5, only skipping a single upgrade until now)
have to pay the same as people who have never supported Finale in the
past but instead have supported competing software?  Where is the
corporate loyalty to the faithful customers?  I realize the company
needs to expand their customer base, so making an appealing cross-grade
offer is important.  But you also need to keep your long-time customer
base happy and not giving us a deeper discount ($99?) instead of making
us pay the same as users of Sibelius or Notion or Forte or whatever
certainly isn't making any of us happy.

Thanks for reading -- I realize you may not be able to answer my
questions, but perhaps you could pass them along to whomever in the
corporation sets the pricing and the scheduling of interim updates.

--
David H. Bailey
dhbai...@davidbaileymusicstudio.com