On Nov 8, 2005, at 9:59 AM, Brendan Cully wrote:

Let me be honest: I have an axe to grind, since I've got a number of
my own packages languishing in the submission queue for months. I'm
grateful for the feedback I've gotten, and eg dmacks has definitely
improved the quality of my packages. But lbdb probably doesn't need
another six month's of inspection...

I'm in the same situation. A number of my packages are still Undergoing Validation. And likewise, I want to give a big public thank-you to Daniel Macks, since he appears to be one of the few (only?) developers who has been validating and committing the packages I put in the tracker.

So here's my proposal for solving this problem: Give more people CVS commit access. If you and I were allowed to help out with checking in new and updated packages, then that's a good chunk that could be removed from the tracker right there. Not only would we be able to remove our own packages, but we'd also be able to help validate and commit others, too. Now, I'm not as experienced with this as core developers like Daniel, but I've learned a lot from him lately, and I do guarantee that if I end up breaking something -- and this is the only reason why CVS commit access is restricted, right? -- then I'll be responsive and get it fixed quickly.

Perhaps we need to review the process of how people are granted commit access. On the other hand, is there even a process? I'm not sure what criteria a developer must meet before getting access. I seem to remember reading something about being the maintainer of some minimum number of packages, but I can't find any mention of this on the Fink website now.

Trevor