Hi,

I can not test it on my mac right now, but I just verified that the
solution I suggested works with tetex on a digital unix machine...
It seems to work at least with the article, slides and seminar document
classes.
What I do is the following. I have in the preamble just

\documentclass{article} (or slides or seminar)
\usepackage[a4paper,landscape]{geometry}

(no landscape option in documentclass).
By the way, geometry is a very nice package, it lets you very easily
modify the page layout with other options or just choose `letterpaper'
instead of `a4paper'.

Then run:

latex file.tex
dvips -t landscape -o file.ps file
ps2pdf file.ps

(for some reason with the seminar class the -t landscape option in dvips
is
not even needed).

The file.pdf I get is in landscape format. Indeed it shows up in portrait
orientation in gv, but I just have to select seascape from the menu.

I don't know why it's not working for you... I'll try it on the mac
later.

Stefano