After some more tests, I can report that the problem seems to be with gv
and not with the various methods of generating pdf output in landscape
format.

The simplest method does work for any other viewer I've tried apart from
gv:

\documentclass[a4paper,landscape]{slides}
latex
dvips -t landscape
ps2pdf

Note that the ps output looks correct in gv, it is just the pdf output
that does not.  And xdvi -paper a4r will view the dvi file correctly.

Stefano's geometry package method works just as well as that single
documentclass-with-options preamble (I wonder if it _is_ exactly the same
underneath?)  I didn't test thoroughly with Martin's method (since it
messes up my pages if I change from slides to seminar class).

I am using fink's new (2.0-5) tetex and ghostscript 8.0 and gv 3.5.8-5
(supposedly latest and stable).  Since gs correctly produces the pdf
output that works everywhere except in gv, that does suggest that gv is
where the problem lies, but I don't have anything else that uses gs 8.0
to test with.

However, I do have a sun to test on:  the following versions of gs, gv do
work there:

Aladdin Ghostscript 5.50 (1998-9-16)
Copyright (C) 1998 Aladdin Enterprises, Menlo Park, CA.  All rights
reserved.

gv 3.5.8

And on a linux (Redhat) PC, the following does NOT work (same problem as
on mac):

GNU Ghostscript 6.52 (2001-10-20)
Copyright (C) 2001 artofcode LLC, Benicia, CA.  All rights reserved.

gv 3.5.8

So maybe could be a gs problem (GNU gs cf Aladdin gs) ??
On my mac G4, when displaying the pdf file gv calls gs as follows:

gs -dNOPLATFONTS -sDEVICE=x11alpha -dNOPAUSE -dQUIET -dSAFER

This is exactly the same as when displaying the ps file.

ps2pdf calls gs thus:

gs -dSAFER -dCompatibilityLevel=1.2 -q -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sDEVICE=pdfwrite
-sOutputFile=qrwtest.pdf -dSAFER -dCompatibilityLevel=1.2 -c .setpdfwrite
-f qrwtest.ps

I'm out of my depth trying to figure out whether those options are to
blame or whether the problem lies elsewhere.

Many thanks to all who've made suggestions!

I'm Ccing the gv maintainer (Jeffrey Whitaker) to make sure the info gets
passed on to him, but since there's a perfectly good workaround (use xpdf)
I'm not expecting replies or action...especially since the linux system
has the same problem, suggesting the cause is not with the fink versions.

cheers,
-- Viv