On 19-5-2018 17:11, Vlad Khorsun via Firebird-devel wrote:
19.05.2018 13:08, Mark Rotteveel wrote:
2. Fine-grained privilege that applies only to this single option: ALTER_EXTERNAL_CONNECTIONS_POOL or if shorter is preferred: ALTER_EXT_CONN_POOL

3. In addition to option 2, maybe allow even finer-grained control, eg support granting people only the privilege to clear the pool, but not change the config: privilege CLEAR_EXT_CONN_POOL (or something like that).

  It looks as not necessary as pool could be cleared by setting its size to zero.

You are missing my point: this privilege is about giving a user/role the right to clear the pool from its current connections, while at the same time not allowing those users to change the configuration like pool size, lifetime, etc.

We may need to consider doing all three.

   So far i see only (2) as necessary change.

  Also, i want to speak about possible extension of the feature. I think it would be good to have new monitoring table with list of all external connections. Not sure if we should allow to DELETE here but it should be at least considered too. It will replace two of four new context variables (EXT_CONN_POOL_IDLE_COUNT and EXT_CONN_POOL_ACTIVE_COUNT).

Having a monitoring table for these would be good.

Next step could be to implement external pool as database object and allow user to CREATE\ALTER\DROP multiply pools.

At the moment, I don't really see the use case of being able to define multiple pools (and how you would then use them). How do you envision this feature works?

Maybe this is something that needs to be deferred until this feature has seen some use?

Another little
improvement could be new property of pooled connection - recycle time. It means that even if connection is actively used it should be closed after "recycle time" (of
course when it become inactive).

   What do you think ?

Limiting the lifetime of a connection in the pool. Yes, that is a good idea. In the Java world, this property is usually called something like maximum connection lifetime.

  Another setting to enable\disable such logging ? Please, no ;) It would be much better to discuss (separately, yes) how logging could be structured and moved to
the public interface\new plugin, IMHO.

I said nothing about having settings for enabling or disabling said logging, I think changes to the configuration need to be logged, so they can be audited.

Other questions I have:
1. What happens if the pool configuration is done through DDL? Will it persist in the firebird.conf (or engine13.conf)? Will a restart of Firebird clear it again?

2. How will the pool work in case of Classic Server? Will pool config changes apply to all processes?

Mark Rotteveel