2009/2/4 Leonard Chin <l.g.c...@gmail.com>

> HI
>
> On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 7:27 AM, Axel Liljencrantz
> <liljencra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > In other word, the infrastructure set in place here will make sure any
> > configuration made by the user in config.fish will be ignored. The
> original
> > idea behind these key bindings is that the user should specify their key
> > bindings in a function, and then, whenever that function changes, fish
> will
> > notice and all running shells will reload their keybindings. In other
> words:
> > redefine stuff in one shell, and all shells are updated at once.
> Coolness.
> >
> > But this scheme obviously has major discoverability issues. :~/
>
> Isn't this true of the other configurations that require function
> definition?
> I noticed that such functions (fish_prompt, fish_title etc) shouldn't be
> defined in config.fish, but within their own function files. Defining
> functions inside config.fish seems to fail if launching fish from
> an existing fish instance (e.g. if you use a multiplexer like screen/tmux)
>
> This is not obvious from the documentation (maybe)

That should not fail, and doesn't seem to fail for me. By using the dynamic
function loading infrastructure, you get many advantages:

* Automatic updating to latest function version on all running shells.
* Using funced and funcsave, it's easy to edit and save your functions
interactively on the command line, and save the finished version once you're
satisfied.
* You get syntax highlighting and tab completion when defining your
functions.

Can you describe how storing functions in config.fish fails?

Axel