I didn't intend anything so complex.

Part of Fish's design (from what i understand) is that the .config file
bindings are overwritten by the function fish_default_key_bindings

I was suggesting that when the config file is read, 'bare' bindings are
special cased and added to the bottom of the in-memory copy of that
function. This will let the simple case of bindings in the .config file
work without breaking the advanced features intended.

I was not advocating rewriting .config.

I hope this is clearer.

--
Bobby