On Tue, 27 Nov 2012, Luciano ES wrote:

> I investigated further and found some old residue that had still been
> left around somehow.
>
> Besides running 'dpkg -r fish' I also ran 'dpkg --purge fish' and 'dpkg
> --purge fishfish'. I don't know how I got the idea of purging fishfish,
> it just occurred to me and indeed dpkg seems to have found (and purged)
> something.
>
> Then I deleted (renamed) ~/.config/fish entirely and reinstalled the
> latest fish with 'make install'.
>
> All the problems vanished.
>
> But I missed my config.fish file, brought it back and some of the
> problems were back with it. Then I realized my config.fish file had
> lines referencing /usr/share/fish which is old news. I realized all
> those lines were already present in /usr/local/share/fish/config.fish so
> I deleted them and now everything works fine.

Hi Luciano,

Without wanting to sound like a broken record, if you are on Debian you
can use the builds I make from the git HEAD on a (mostly) daily basis.

http://www.mail-archive.com/fish-users@lists.sourceforge.net/msg03460.html

Let me know if you run into trouble. In particular you should probably
`make deinstall` from your source tree and move all your references back
to /usr from /usr/local.

Cheers

David