Sigh... Ok, one thing at a time:

> See what? "bind -k dc" isn't in that list. Or maybe I'm just blind

You're right, it's not there. My mistake, forget about it. :-\

> I get the impression that fish_user_key_bindings is not being executed
> at all (try adding an echo "USER BINDINGS SET" to check or try calling
> it manually),

That's right, it's not. I had already tried adding an echo statement within the
function, and it never printed out any output.
And running fish_user_key_bindings manually on the command line works, the
Delete binding I wanted worked fine.
Now, why isn't fish_user_key_bindings executed automatically?

> which leads me to suspect that you may have some ancient
> fish files lying around somewhere that you haven't cleaned up that
> predate the introduction of that function.

In fact, yes, I still have (or rather had - read further) the old fish lying
around in case the new fish didn't quite work out for me.

> Have you done a dpkg -r fish as the thread you posted suggested to
> clean up any old version in your package manager?

I just did, and all hell broke loose. The current shell got all messy, lots of
error messages flying every which way.
I ran quickly to the source/build/compile directory I used yesterday and ran
'make install' again. It got better, but I still have problems.

I looked for /usr/share/fish, it's not there anymore. I deleted
/usr/local/share/fish/ and ran 'make install' again, I still have problems:

First, the command line is all broken, many keys are not working.

Every time I try a new session, I get complaints about my fish_prompt.fish
file, some problem with prompt_pwd.

I also get this error, which looks like a bug to me:

fish: Unknown command "__fish_config_interactive"
/usr/local/share/fish/config.fish (line 95): __fish_config_interactive
                                             ^
in function "__fish_on_interactive",
        called on standard input,

in event handler: handler for generic event "fish_prompt"

It is complaining about /usr/local/share/fish/config.fish, but I never touched
that file. Whatever is wrong with it, I didn't do it.

Please advise.  :-(