I forgot to mention that <bind -k dc delete-or-exit> works fine if
typed/entered on the command line, I press Delete and the shell exits, but then
it won't work in new sessions, unless I define it on the command line manually
again.

Also, note that it won't work on new sessions although it is listed by the
'bind' command:

$ bind
[many lines elided]
bind \e\< beginning-of-buffer
bind \e\> end-of-buffer
bind \el __fish_list_current_token
bind \ew 'set tok (commandline -pt); if test $tok[1]; whatis $tok[1];
commandline -f repaint; end'
bind \cl 'clear; commandline -f repaint'
bind \cc 'commandline ""'
bind \cu backward-kill-line
bind \cd delete-or-exit
bind \ep __fish_paginate

See? It's there. But it doesn't work.

The other binding <bind \cz 'commandline ""'> does not work even if entered
manually on command line. It is also not listed by the 'bind' command. I don't
understand what you mention about 'susp with stty' because I am not familiar
with it. I can however assure you that Ctrl+z to clear the command line works
fine on tcsh. I have had that binding in tcsh for three or four years, and it
has allways worked. It still does.

Thank you for your attention.

--
Luciano ES