This message is from: Jean Ernest <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Well I had an "up front and personal" confrontation with the mother moose.
I didn't know they were around, was carrying a big black sack of garbage
out to the garage when suddenly there was the moose, between me and the
house!  The horses have gotten so used to them they didn't warn me by
rushing around.  I yelled, the moose started to come toward me but I held
the big black garbage sack in front of me and screeched at it!  she went
back of the garage, gone I thought but when I went on down to feed the
horses she was back, looking for her calf who was in the hay barn (next to
the garage)

They actually didn't seem that agressive and certainly are used to people,
my banging and waving buckets didn't faze them.  I know, however, that they
can be dangerous.  A man was killed down in Anchorage a couple years ago at
the U of A campus, but that moose had been harassed.

I really do enjoy seeing them so close, but would feel better if they were
a bit more scared of me! And din't get in the hay barn( squeeze in between
the pick-up and the wall of the barn.)

A friend had a cow and calf moose take up residence in her hay barn and
wouldn't let her in to get hay.  Had her "trapped" in the barn one day.
This winter is a very easy winter, but they are still coming around to the
hay.

On Fjord stuff, my two big geldings take x-large halters, and warmblood
size english bridles, altho the cheekpieces are really too long.  They need
the larger brow band and throatlatch, etc. Bjorken's back isn't all that
broad, but he is hard to fit due to his large shoulders.  The Ortho-Flex
saddles have worked best for me.

The two mares take "large" halters.  My Fjords range from 14-2 to 15-2

Jean in Fairbanks, Alaska, where the temperature is rising (+5) because we
sent that cold air mass down to the "lower 48" (sorry Mary!)

Jean Ernest
Fairbanks, Alaska
[EMAIL PROTECTED]