This message is from: GAIL RUSSELL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I've tried stud chains and rope halters Gunthar.  Neither worked all that
well - though better control than nylon web.  Also tried sweeping a whip
under his nose as he goes down to grass dive - made him pull his head up
fast - but he tended to get kinda spooky about his head.

The best solutions to grass diving have been clicker training AND/OR a knee
(or whip) in the belly as the head goes down.

The latter (more violent method) works very well - as the horse doesn't
really seem to know where it came from - so they don't resist or fight back.

Clicker training takes more time and patience.  I trained a "head up"
command.  He does it automatically when we keep ourselves in practice -
before he has time to think that he is leaving that juicy grass.

Now, mounted, or ponying - I haven't got a solution yet. :)

Gail
>Hi Lynda-
>
>I am enjoying the posts on halters. I started with the halters which "came
>with" my two geldings. They were flat nylon. I had problems keeping the
>horses heads out of the grass, especially when leading both at once! I heard
>that thin rope halters offered more control, and found this to be true. When
>my horses' heads hit the ground, you need a crane to get them back up. The
>rope halters give me an extra edge in keeping the heads up while leading.

Gail Russell
Forestville CA
[EMAIL PROTECTED]