This message is from: Emily Wigley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hmmm, it's been said pretty clearly why some of us choose to blanket our fjords, but I'll chime in anyway!

1. It's for the people's convenience. Like it was said, we blanket to keep them groomable before riding, and healthy if they are trace clipped. Mudballs with 4" of coat aren't easy to get clean enough to be comfy in tack! :-)

2. Please remember that what works in one location and climate may not work in another. I didn't understand Wet-ern Washington state's climate until I lived here with horses. It's not just wet, it's bone- chilling wet, and nothing, and I mean nothing, dries out during the 8 month rainy season, including a Fjord who sweats from the inside of a huge coat. Rain rot has a new meaning here, it's really astounding! Folks that ski and do other outdoor sports and activities are stunned at how miserable it is to be outside in our rainy climate -- the cold goes right into our bones during the wet months, with our sustained humidity. It's like the opposite of a heat index! So, please don't assume that blanketing in our climate is crazy until you've walked a mile in my (muck) boots.

Many thanks for open minds and sharing ideas and experiences.
:-)
Emily
Sunny and 55ยบ right now! All the horses' rain sheets are, of course off (and none of my Fjords are wearing them yet any way).
Fish Bowl Farm
Vashon Island, Wa USA