I think the major advantage to as3 is the fact that the virtual machine
running it is quite a bit faster.
The other part is the fact that your code will be more robust, more oop,
more clean in a way.

The disadvantage is obviously the fact that the whole as3/player 8.5 is
still in alpha. Plus as3 has a bit of a steep learning curve, and just
fiddling about is a bit harder (this is a good thing in the long run
actually).

I think it's a good thing to try and port your games to as3, in a way that
it will give you a good feeling of as3 and prepare you for things to come.