Glen Pike wrote:
You do something wrong in C / C++ you could end up with a BSOD, or a broken CD Writer (ahem).
Sorry, the (ahem) made me laugh!
I got into Flash & ActionScript because it was the fastest and easiest way of getting something to show on the screen
Yep.
I hated Visual Studio
I think it's great - you can set breakpoints to capture almost any problem. You can see the memory and study bits and bytes.
But it took a while to get used to it. It provides easier ways into it now.
- especially trying to work out how to draw to the screen from an MFC based app
Agreed. I avoided MFC completely - it was convoluted, obfuscated, gobbledegook.

(oops) - it took about 2 years of messing round and going through various books to finally get something half arsed going, then I encountered the pain of DirectX which was glossed over in the book.
Same here.

it might be worth trying some C / C++ stuff again when the AS3 can't handle the performance requirements...
I hope so.
I have used a little bit of assembler to treble the speed on some bits.
My reason for asking about C++ and AS3 together was because I wanted to see how many people in the marketplace might have those skills - I thought the response would be less, so that's promising.
Promising for what reason?

John
Glen