I'm glad you found the issue. I was about to make another
suggestion--I will anyway, because it's a nice trick.

Set the frame rate as low as you can, and still get smooth animation.
A frame rate of about 20 fps is often good enough, and the Flash
engine has to process fewer frame events. Movies at your local
ciniplex only run at 24 fps, and American TV runs at just under 30 fps
(29.97, I believe).

Of course, that doesn't work for a lot of movies--sometimes you need
the fastest frame rate you can get, especially for twitch games.

Another technique I've heard of, but haven't experimented with yet, is
to set the frame rate to 1 fps, and do all your rendering with
updateAfterEvent. I've seen that done, and it gets some pretty
impressive results.

Cordially,

Kerry Thompson