Yes, I've found that as one fix, but am not fond of it either...  The
application I'm working on will be run on a wide range of monitor
resolutions, and it's likely that many users will not need the
scrollbars in order to see the content.  For them, I don't want to
chop a bit of their screen real estate away in order to display an
unnecessary scrollbar.  At the same time, if a user doesn't have the
vertical space, I'd like for flex to show the scrollbar.

The hack I'm currently using is to add extra padding to the right side
and disable horizontal scrolling.  If the vertical bars show up, they
crop that padding.  This is less than ideal, as at one point (either
before the bar is displayed or after) the padding will not be
consistent around the content.  This also steals screen space from
people who don't need the bars, so it isn't ideal.

I just wish there was a way to get containers to subtract the
scrollbar's width from the width that they allow their children to
use.  They're percentage-based, so it's obvious that the intention was
for them to take up as much (but no more) space available to them.