From the perspective of someone who in his opinion is only just edging
into the "advanced" category in Flex, I've been a lurker for many years
but only just now gradually changing to a more active status on the list.

To me, the volume of emails to the list was intimidating, until I
decided to manage my lists a little better through Thunderbird
filtering, and be disciplined about the time I take every day to review
the list, so it doesn't impact my productivity, much like I do every day
with the MXNA.

So I'm not convinced that splitting up the list simply to make things
more efficient and the volume less intimidating for some people
outweighs the potential risks. I agree with Tim Hoff (16/06/2008 10:53
PM) -- my concern is less for new users and lurkers than it is for
frequent posters who are the lifeblood of this community, having to
divide their precious attention from one list to however-many, which
would dilute the quality of all lists, and could ultimately lead to
abandonment by regular users on all lists.

A community such as this must be a delicate balance between questions
and answers, new users and advanced users, lurkers and frequent
contributors. My concern is that for many, the formula works, our
numbers are steady, and there is still a huge number of A-list
participation. In attempting to improve the list, we could be killing it
-- so we need to be very sure of our data before proceeding IMO.

A FAQ would be very welcome, as would Doug's recommendation for most
commonly asked threads, as would tags, regardless of what the decision
is on the split.

But I would request that FAQ links and tag keywords be indicated in the
signature of each email from the list, so that the many users who don't
use the yahoo list's web interface can easily find the info and know
what tags to use without having to switch between their mail client and
a browser, otherwise having a FAQ and anything else apart from the
emails is pointless.

In fact, just having a FAQ and encouraging the use of tags could help
many with list post management, and provide this list the "boost" it
needs without taking drastic measures. This would be my request, and my
recommendation. In addition, we could even include in the FAQ some "post
management strategies," such as filtering, tagging and colour-coding to
help users manage the flow.

And I would suggest an automated email generated by an algorithm with
some text like "You have not posted in ___ months..." or "You have now
unsubscribed..." followed by "please help us make flexcoders a better
community experience by telling us why you have _____"

This would be a far less intrusive and intimidating follow up and data
collection method than an email personally send from a moderator,
especially one from Adobe. Some people might perceive such attention as
singling them out, and using an autogenerated email would eliminate the
manpower necessary to collect data on infrequent/unsubscribed accounts.

If we do decide to split the list at all, I would keep the number small
just to make sure. My recommendation would be to split things into just
three lists:
flexcoders
flexnewbie
flexenterprise

Even though the definitions are a little fuzzy, I think flexnewbie could
be defined as not the difficulty of the question but the experience the
user perceives themselves to be at, so there may very well be advanced
and newbie questions on both lists, and that's okay. Likewise there will
probably be some crossover into the flexenterprise list. I think it's
fair to say that questions involving a substantial amount of "Java/data
services/large teams/enterprise workflows" would qualify, without
requiring the definition of "enterprise" be defined with scientific
precision to participate. Too narrow a definition is a recipe for
failure, any new the list needs to be defined without being too
exclusive IMO.

Thanks for listening,

Joseph Balderson | http://joeflash.ca
Flex & Flash Platform Developer | Abobe Certified Developer & Trainer
Author, Professional Flex 3 (coming Winter 2008)
Staff Writer, Community MX | http://communitymx.com/author.cfm?cid=4674

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: