We are not operating radios - we are operating  _modes_ (i.e., ssb
phone OR cw OR rtty OR psk31 OR ... ).

An all-mode console is great when demonstrating the radio to your SWL
friend, but when he goes home you operate your radio mostly on your
favorite mode, and you might benefit if your console reflected this.

If available, you would probably want several similar consoles, each
with specific enhancements for a particular mode. You would use one
at a time, of course. In a few years,  when SDR has become the
dominant type of radio, I think ops will want and have specialized
consoles like this.

For instance, right now I want a console specific to RTTY contesting
operations - it doesn't need the usual ANF button, but it could
benefit from a different kind of ANF that only removes a multi-second
long constant cw QRM. It doesn't need a CW memory keyer, but a
built-in FFT tuning display/waterfall  like MMTTY provides would be
very useful. It doesn't need an audio equalizer, but real FSK would help.

At the present stage of development, the do-it-all console is a
handful for any development team, but we will probably evolve more
specific consoles as time goes on and more developers come on board.

Jerry W4UK