At 09:58 AM 4/24/2008, Dave Blaschke wrote:
>The best performance I can obtain for QSK is at the following settings:
>GENERAL-AUDIO-Buffer: Size 512, Sample Rate: 48000
>GENERAL-OPTIONS: Process Priority: High
>DSP: TX Buffer Size: 512, RX Buffer Size: 512
>Delay (ms): 10 (minimum setting)
>
>At these settings I see around 10% CPU utilization on the PowerSDR screen.
>
>With these settings, I am almost, but not quite there. Here is my
>complaint. When returning from T to R there is an audible "pop" that
>tends to mask reception during Dits and Dahs. I am wondering if
>Receive recovery is occurring quickly enough.

In the SDR1K at least (and probably the F5K), there's no real analog
component to the "recovery".. i.e. there's no amplifier to come out
of saturation or AGC loop to recover.  So what you're hearing is an
artifact of how the software implements the changeover (i.e.
switching the demodulated audio stream on and off when going in and
out of Rx mode).

>  Elimination of the
>"pop" on transition from T to R would go a long way in smoothing out
>QSK, in my opinion.

So that sounds like a leading edge shaping issue.  Hmmm..