What was a cutting edge a year ago in now considered "low end" by some for
reasons I cannot understand. Be that as it may, I agree with Flex's decision to
discontinue the SDR1000 because it makes perfect sense for them to do so. An
SDR1000 equipped with a 100 watt amp, internal tuner, Hosa cable set and the
additional gound loop eliminators, line isolators, hum destroyers, ferrite
beads, rf chokes, pre amps and decent sound card like the edriol FA66 cost
about $400 shy of the baseline Flex 5000A. The main difference is with a Flex
5000A you won't have to deal with all the problems that can be associated with
the myriad of connections that make the SDR1000 work.

How many times have you heard of folks radios not working because of defective
cables or poor connections? It happens all the time. The company has decided to
place everything in 1 box inculding a vastly superior soundcard connected by a
single firewire cable. By doing this, the amount of potential tech support
requests should drop significantly and the result is a more polished product
that delivers a pleasant out of box experience. It also give the Flex folks
more time to improve their product.

For those of you who still want to purchase an SDR1000 there are occasionally
ads on ebay, eham and on this reflector for used models that are surprisingly
low in price that may be able to fulfill your needs. I'm keeping my eyes open
for a second SDR1000 because of it's low cost and its superior receiver. Also
note that since the SDR1000 has no knobs there will be practically no wear and
tear on the unit. A dead fan should be easy to replace and I don't mind dealing
with all the wires for an amateur transceiver that blows just about every radio
out there away!

B'lee dat!
Edwin Marzan

AB2VW