Jim,

That's exactly why I think there is some positive feedback on the
Indian rig.  Add the Atlas/Ozy/Janus combo to it and you are close to
the $1000 board you mentioned.  If FRS or someone else offered a 5000
series style (integrated sound card) 1W board for $1000 I'd buy it.
I've been looking for a 1W rig at a reasonable price for some time.
Mike (KM0T) had a great deal that was gone by the time I had a chance
to investigate.  This kind of SDR1K replacement may just be the ticket
or a step in the right direction.

I'm sure FRS has looked at that market and by appearances (no 1W
radio) decided it was not viable for them.  Hopefully as more and more
people move into SDR they we re-evaluate this decision.  With guys
like Mike, Philip and others who blazed the trail by using their
SDR-1000 for VHF+ (and kicking everyones rears in the contests) I
think in coming years you will see an increased demand for a SDR based
IF rig just to stay competitive.

Dana
N1OFZ