There's still a modicum of support for 1394b, at least in certain high end
systems: for instance there's a Mil/Aero version of 1394 called AS5643 which is
in the Joint Strike Fighter.  In such applications it will last forever (hmm,
how long have we been using MIL-STD-1553.. Since 1973, and we're still building
NEW things that use it.)

Those are hardly consumer applications, though.

> Ethernet, on the other hand, will continue to progress, be
> supported, and probably continue to maintain backward
> compatibility with older versions.

Certainly as far as IP packet handling goes. The PHY layers are not quite as
interversion compatible (how much ThickNet have you seen recently, or even
RG-58 10base2).  10/100/1000 are fairly interoperable (in that the GbE
interface can understand and configure itself for 10BaseT). The faster
Ethernets are totally noncompatible.

However, it's still true that one can take a 15 year old 10BaseT device and
plug it into a modern GigE device, and it will probably work.  And the IP
software stack presents the same interfaces to a software application.

> My understanding (from Flex Radio Support) is that the Flex
> Radio FireWire interface doesn't work well with the newer 800
> MB FireWire adapters/drivers.

Fast Phy design is challenging. Maybe the equalizer can't deal with something?