--- On Fri, 2/20/09, Lux, James P <james.p....@jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
<snip>

> Or, you start treating radios like PCs. Expect to replace
> it every 5 years or so.  Even if you fork out $4800 for a
> Flex5C every 5 years, that's about $1K/yr.

FWIW I don't think it will come to that. What I envision happening is that the
writing will be on the wall for when new PC HW cannot be made to support the PC
based SDR radios that we have today. The HW specific software will also be
frozen by that time too. So at that point many people will just start stock
piling the needed PC systems and PC parts to support these radios well into the
future. That will be pretty much equivalent to what many have done with vacuum
tubes in the 70's and 80's to keep yesterdays boat anchors going now. And I
really don't think we need to start filling closets with "obsolete" PC HW to
support todays SDR's for quite awhile yet. No need to jump the gun on that
one...

Duane
N9DG