Are the specifications available for the V/U unit? I cannot find them so far...

Stan

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tim Ellison" <telli...@itsco.com> To: "Ray" <kb...@comcast.net>; <kb...@starband.net>; <FlexRadio@flex-radio.biz>
Sent: Monday, August 24, 2009 8:44 AM
Subject: Re: [Flexradio] [SPAM] Re: V/U Upgrade

"...the Flex-1500 for below $700 is a fine example."

This is actually a very poor example. The FLEX-1500 is designed as a compromise SDR. It will have limited sampling rates and lower receive performance. The V/U module is anything but a compromise upgrade for the FLEX-5000.

The V/U module is designed to be a high performance VHF/UHF addition to the FLEX-5000. It has to compliment the already existing high performance HF transceiver. Check out the specifications. It will incorporate class A PA bricks and has a very good noise figure as well.

And, you can not look at the material cost of the module alone. In addition to the engineering expense that goes into producing the V/U module, there is also the software expense that goes into integrating it into PowerSDR along with the additional software features to use it like adding tones for FM repeater and satellite operation and inverted split operation for SSB sats.

FlexRadio has always priced their products competitively and there is no reason to believe that they would not continue that practice.

-Tim