On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 7:12 PM, Michael Tondee <mat...@netcommander.com>wrote:

> I was over in the chat that goes along with WA5KUB's helmet cam at Dayton
> today and could not believe some of the attitudes I encountered upon
> mentioning I had recently purchased a Flex 5000A.
>  I was told I didn't have a "real ham radio". That using my Flex was no
> better than being on CQ100 or a cell phone or the internet and other such
> nonsense! Some of the folks there were downright childish about it. I mean,
> I know that kind of idiocy is out there but being confronted with it first
> hand was just unbelievable! Of course, there were those that had some common
> sense there too but what amazed me was that some of the critics were really
> very misinformed about what SDR even was.

That is true and it is not new. That is what the old-timers said about CW,
SSB, computers doing RTTY, packet radio, and now SDR. I was once accused of
trying to ruin amateur radio because I was experimenting with TCP/IP over
packet radio. :-)

>  You guys know we are going to koll ham radio as we know it right? :-) It
> was comical but  it was really sad in a way too.

The interesting thing is, it hasn't really started yet. The first inkling
was CW-skimmer. It will get really interesting when there is better
integration between the IF DSP, the modems, and the CODECs.

But, yeah, we are on the leading edge. I know that I find using traditional
radios annoying now.

--
73 de Brian, WB6RQN/J79BPL