On 5/27/2013 2:29 PM, Edwin Marzan wrote:
I plan to pick up one of the many Flex 5000A's that will become available when
the new game  changer radios are finally shipped. After reading these posts I
am a bit concerned...

From: patric...@windstream.net
To: flexradio@flex-radio.biz
Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 07:53:16 -0500
Subject: Re: [Flexradio] Owners Manual

Everyone has a personal opinion regarding manuals.  That is fine except
where you think your personal preference trumps my needs.  I too would like
a complete and up to date manual and PDF or similar is fine as I have a
printer.  I would accept a hypertext version even though it precludes
traditional printed copies.  After all if I don't have a computer to read
the manual on I won't be running a Flex radio. I want a manual not a license
to participate in a scavenger hunt trying to find a tidbit here or there.
I'm not trying to dictate to anyone what they do with information, how they
get it or how they store/access it but a complete manual with TOC,
chapters, etc. is not a bad thing, traditional or hypertext.

I have managed software developments and I know that the developers prefer
slinging code over documenting.  More functionality is nice but if the users
can't employ it, then so what.  Here I sit with one of the niftiest products
in the world, the true cat's meow of ham radios and I have to participate in
an ongoing scavenger hunt for what should be in the basic documentation. I'm
happy for the individuals who have the time to devote to find out how to use
this technological marvel and I do appreciate it when they share their
knowledge but if a proper manual were available mere mortals could employ
any features available without need to sit at the feet of the "priesthood."

I realize we are beating a dead horse and units of output will not be in
proportion to units of input.  Ask for what you will but "The Team" is off
chasing the new shiny ball and what was the new shiny ball is now a step
child.  History will repeat itself. Corporate philosophy/culture, even in a
young company, is a powerful influence and the most likely outcome as
regards the manual for the new shiny ball is a repeat of the situation we
have now. Functionality will easily win out over documentation in the
contest for attention.  Sales are effected much more strongly by nifty
features than by the quality of the documentation.  Wait a year and history
will repeat itself. There will be posts bemoaning the lack of sufficient
documentation to employ the whoopee capabilities of the 6K series.

I would be absolutely thrilled to be proven wrong but don't suspect to
receive even mild titillation.

Regarding the idea that the concept of centralized and complete
documentation is obsolete...  BOVINE EXCREMENT!!!  If you think the
maintainers and operators of the nation's warfighting capability are reduced
to web searches and burning incense at the shrine of self appointed gurus
you are out of touch with reality.  Many manuals are electronic now but
still complete.  You don't maintain a joint strike fighter, or even a
predator drone by looking around the internet to find  bits of data to put
in your iPad.    RANT: MODE=OFF

Patrick AF5CK