Jonathan Polley writes:

 > I have made an attempt to describe the contents of 'preferences.xml.'
 > Could someone knowledgeable in the properties list and preferences.xml
 > file let me know if I am understanding things correctly?  Also, is there
 > any information about what each component of FlightGear needs from the
 > property list (i.e., the various FDMs, etc.)?
 >
 > http://homepage.mac.com/eq_fidget/FG_Dox/preferences_xml.html

Just to start, the property tree has nothing to do with Metakit -- we
use Metakit only to hold airport and navaid data.

       <path  >Aircraft/c172/Panels/c172-vfr-panel.xml</  path>
        This tells FlightGear where it can find the configuration information for the
aircraft.  It is the same as using the '--aircraft-dir=' option.

Actually, this is the path to the default instrument panel.
--aircraft-dir is a special option used only by UIUC.

Thanks for starting on this -- it's much needed.

All the best,

David

--
David Megginson