Julian Foad wrote:
> We need a different (or rather a complete) font.  This has been
> mentioned before.  The PLIB guys said something like "It's easy to
> create one."  We could supply one in Flight Gear, but really someone
> ought to complete the one in PLIB.

I started thinking about this sort of thing, too.  Ripping* an
existing truetype or postscript font into an antialiased texture is
actually really easy -- render each glyph using ghostscript into a
bitmap at 16x the intended resolution and downsample into a gray scale
image.  I've been thinking about this over the past few days as a
straightforward application of the same scripting I've used for the
panels.

Problem is, I don't know anything about the glut font format, and a
cursory look around the web didn't turn up any pointers.  Does anyone
know this stuff well enough to write up a quick format document?

Andy

* Courts have actually held this to be legal.  The program
  instructions to _draw_ a font are protected by copyright, but the
  shapes themselves are not.  You can render "Arial" into a bitmap and
  distribute it as a legal product of reverse engineering, just as
  Arial itself was a reverse engineered Helvetica.

--
Andrew J. Ross                NextBus Information Systems
Senior Software Engineer      Emeryville, CA