Norman Vine wrote:
> This used to be true but not with the current cards or on any NVIDIA
> card with a current driver glCopyTexSubImage is FAST even without
> using pbuffers

It's not all that fast.  You still have to clear the back buffer and
you still need to do the memory blit into the texture.  It's not slow,
and it makes fun techniques like impostering and dynamic cube map
generation possible.  But compared with "traditional" rendering it
still costs significant fill rate.

Remember that the "slow" thing your trying to fix is the fill rate
penalty of rendering all the panel layers; the panel layers don't have
significant geometry to speak of, they're slow because of all the
texture reads.  Fixing that problem with a fill-rate-intensive
algorithm won't give you quite as much of a speed up as you think.

Again, I'm not saying that it won't be faster.  I'm saying that it
might not be quite as fast as you imagine, and that it involves
significant tradeoffs in panel fidelity that I'd be really hesitant to
make on systems that are already getting slow frame rates.

Andy

--
Andrew J. Ross                NextBus Information Systems
Senior Software Engineer      Emeryville, CA