> Gene Buckle wrote:
> > Andy, is it technically possible to fiddle with the model parameters
> > in real-time?
>
> Not easily.  Changing the parameters requires a re-solution, which can
> take a second or two for aircraft with lots of elements like the 747.
> So it would have to be done a little bit at a time over many frames,
> and probably involve a throttler gadget to keep the frame rate high
> enough.
>
> On an SMP system, you could just spawn a thread to do it and it would
> work great, of course.  But on a uniprocessor, even threading would
> take half the CPU and performance would drop by 50% for a few seconds
> while the solution popped out.
>
> Is there something in particular you want to control at runtime?
> Support could probably be added per-device.

(thanks for the quick response)

My thought is that a real-time "model wrench" might make it easier for
people to develop or improve aircraft models.

I imagine it would save a _lot_ of time if the "edit parameter file, run
fgfs, test, re-edit" cycle could be reduced to "run fgfs, tweak in-flight,
dump new parameter file".

I've got _way_ too many irons in the fire to try to tackle this myself,
but if YASim could listen on a TCP port for "model wrench" commands, an
external tool could be written (gui or text) that would allow a user to
tweak the currently running model in-flight and then have the tool dump
the changed version of the parameter file to disk after the session was
complete.

YASim itself wouldn't have to do much work other than update the requested
parameter and "re-solve"(?) the model.  The 1 or 2 second pause wouldn't
be any big deal (I wouldn't think) because it would be an expected part of
the design phase.  If you wanted to add some kind of temporary solver, you
could do a "test" solve and then send an error code to the model wrench
and go back to the original (or prior) if the solver dies.

I don't know of any other simulator that could do this, but I don't know
if it's practical either.  I think it would be fantastic if it was
possible.

Is this too far afield?

g.