Jon Stockill writes:

 > I can import and export the xplane database, and have some code which
 > parses the DAFIFT data, and compares it with the existing database,
 > however:
 >
 > 1. Not all airfields in the xplane database are in DAFIF
 > 2. Not all DAFIF airfields are in xplane
 > therefore
 > 3. There's no single common identifier for a field

Welcome to the joys of data management.  I recommend putting all of
the DAFIF airports in separately for now, with a different "source"
field:

  source = xplane
  source = dafif

Then, late, you can specify rules for which ones get included or
excluded in a build (i.e. the DAFIF KSFO and the X-Plane KSFO are
treated as different, mutually-exclusive airports).

 > Also, how do we want to handle updates - I can track how everything
 > was last updated now, so from an initial import of the xplane
 > database I can update it with DAFIF, *but* since the DAFIF info has
 > no taxiway data, if the runway positions get changed slightly the
 > taxiways won't line up.  Updating *only* fields with no taxiway
 > info, or which were last updated/created by DAFIF data is
 > possible. Manual updates are another problem - if someone goes to
 > the effort of correcting data then we don't want to overwrite it
 > with potentially less accurate info from one of the databases.
 >
 > If anyone has any ideas on how we should prioritise the information then
 > I'd be very interested in hearing your ideas.

For now, let's just get all the airports in.  The way that X-Plane
implements taxiways is just horrible -- aprons are just wide taxiways,
for example, and taxiways are always rectangles run together.  Perhaps
we'll be able to think of a better system.

All the best,

David

--
David Megginson, [EMAIL PROTECTED], http://www.megginson.com/