David Luff writes:

>  I believe his intention/achievement
> is to allow the editing of scenery superimposed over calibrated maps or
> ariel photos, which would ease the task of getting the aprons/taxiways etc
> in the right place.

I can heartily reccomend two OpenSource packages for doing this

OpenEV http://openev.sf.net
OSSIM http://www.ossim.org

For those into scriptable interfaces OpenEV should a treat.

OSSIM is a bit more of a bear to get your head around but
worth it if you want to mossaic Imagery from different sources

They both have excellent shapefile support and support most of the
standard raster based formats.

For those on Win32 the VTerrain package has a program that can
assist in automatically extracting buildings from DRGs
http://www.vterrain.org/Implementation/Apps/BExtractor/index.html

and another to assist in laying out the final model, roads buildings airports
ect, http://www.vterrain.org/Implementation/Apps/VTBuilder/index.html

Both of these programs store their results in XML files built using
SimGear's EasyXML package so we should have no problem translating
them

Cheers

Norman