Martin Spott writes:

> "Norman Vine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > It's disturbing that even at take off from KSFO that the FPS drops
> > so dramatically when looking in the 'right' direction when these things
> > are so far away
>
> In my opinion this is the only annoyance in FlightGear that really hurts
> noticeably. Even when you start at KHAF and look into the direction of SFO
> downtown or KSFO airport the framerate drops heavily - despite all the
> mountains that stand in between.
> FG would improve heavily if objects would get clipped out that can't be
> visible by any means. Especially when you're near ground at takeoff or
> touchdown all the currently employed LOD algorithms don't help very much in
> this case,

Doing line of sight occlusion would help in this case only until you got
airborne nor would it help in the case when there were no intervening
mountains so I am not sure if the extra complexity would help all that much.

I am much more interested in coming with a LOD scheme that helps in
the general case before adding any extra overhead :-)

If you want to play with the code IMO the easiest thing would be to
restructure the SceneGraph during the tilemanager prepnode() call
to reorder graph traversal so that tiles were rendered by increasing
distance from the viewpoint.  This can help somet,  I experimented a
bit in the old days before we switched to using SSG

Cheers

Norman