"Norman Vine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> And I am worried about security issues when we have thousands of
> users all wanting to update their little piece of the earth :-)

I didn't mean that _everyone_ should be able to write to the "scenery
database" (or however we'd call it _if_ it really should happen to be
born). I'm thinking about a limited number of "scenery editors" (?)
with write access - similar to people with write access to the CVS
repository. Maybe there would be maintainers for certain regions or
continents - if necessary.

> Also as the scenery gets more populated the problem will eventually
> become intractable with out some division, and not everyone will want
> or need high res scenery for the entire planet.

I would not use highly detailed scenery as a default. I'm thinking of a
scenery database as a repository which serves as a data source for the
usual terrain build process (not to serve as the run-time scenery
itself!). So if people are really interested in using highres scenery
they still could build certain parts themselves (and allow further
distribution)

My idea was evolving from the necessity to manually place handmade
objects into the scenery on every rebuild. The same applies to hand
crafted terrain optimizations.

My approach to standardize the generation of hand optimized scenery
would incarnate in a database holding the relevant stuff. While there's
always the possibility for someone to submit terrain improvements based
on a let's say 1:50.000 map by simply editing the scenery in FGSD and
dropping this into his own copy of the relating region I wish to create
the ability for a second person to further improve the terrain in a way
that it automagically gets included into later scenery builds.
Perhaps there will a way to define the resolution of the scenery you'd
build from the database.

There still should be some discussion wether we would place the "whole
world" into that database and use a 'real' GIS tool or if we simply
place a set of parameters into the database reproducing the manual
editing on automatic scenery build. Holding the whole world could make
things more flexible and we would be defining some standard mechanism
for editing.

Cheers,
        Martin.