On Monday, 29 December 2003 20:59, Norman Vine wrote:
> But just switching to PNG would make a substantial reduction in
> the package size and would not add much to the load time

The PNG compression is not as good (size wise) as jpg but it's lossless which
is great were we need to retain original image quality.

In one test I found that jpg can get a compression ratio of about 9:1 without
any noticable artifacts on scenery textures. (90% quality in GIMP)
The same texture file compresses at about 2:1 using PNG.
Maybe not ground breaking stuff but certainly better than raw image files and
it's free of any patents.

Paul