David Megginson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Matthew Law wrote:

>> I agree with you totally.  My sentiment was that there have also been many
>  > accidents caused by ATC talking in a foreign language (English) to another
>  > pilot who also doesn't speak English as a first language.
>
> That can often be a problem between a controller and pilot who *do* speak
> English as their first language, when they use non-standard phraseology.

Do you have to pass an exam on the north American continent for
operating the radio ? In Germay we have to own the "Restricted Flight
Radiotelephone Operator's Certificate" (this is _not_ my translation,
it's printed on the certificate itself  :-)  _before_ you are allowed
to enter any other examination on your way to the PPL.
In this exam you have to prove that you know how to use the standard
phraseology, that you can sort of understand what is written in the AIP
(which is written in English) and that you know the basics of
radio navigation.

To be honest: This is typically German because you could include this
stuff into the usual theoretical exam as well but anything about radios
falls under the responsibility of a different authority which results
in an additional exam ....

I myself am learning to fly at a controlled airport (EDLN) which pretty
restrictive controllers (!) so we are pretty much used to the
phraseology when we leave the flight school. Hey, they even have a nice
picture:

http://www.eddh.de/info/landeinfo-ergebnis.php?eicao=EDLN

Martin.